Re: [IP] Hot Tubs

Lynn Mohlenhoff wrote:
> Hi all,
> My husband and I are concidering buying a Hot Tub/Spa for his arthritis
> and my fun :).  However in browsing consumer reports they raise the
> issue about diabetics have problems. Anyone have any input on how it
> could effect us?  I realize that I'll problably need to reinforce the
> tape but does heat/hot water have an effect on BG?  I would imagine it
> would help circultation.

The warning is given because long term diabetics tend to have foot neuropathy,
and have been known to scald or burn their feet badly because they didn't
FEEL it happening. That's the only reason for the warning, to keep from causing
diabetics, some of whom DON'T KNOW about their neuropathy, from being harmed,
and presumably trying to sue the manufacturers.

In any case, hot water does have an effect on circulation, as well
as activity/absorption levels of insulin, so you want to study what
happens in the hot tub when you first use it. Should be something
you can counterablance easily with your pump.

Ted Quick