Re: [IP] Re: Velosululin

 plus I had no
>idea that NPH could be used in the pump! I've been

    Why in the world would you want to use NPH in the pump in the first
place? In my opinion that would not be a very wise decision. The NPH works
18 to 20 hours after injected and contributes to the problems of good BG
control, from my point of view anyway.
    The "square wave" gives you the capibility to give a bolus over a 4 hour
period so that when you eat something like pizza that takes longer to digest
and get into your system it will release the insulin more like a "normal"
person's body would.

>Also, what is a "sqaure wave?" Is it just a
>calculated/multiple injection for high BG? My CDE
>told me to use the pump for highs, and not to give
>any insulin for it until it was time to eat again. He
>said to just check every hour or so to make sure it
>was coming down and showed no ketones, and if it
>remained the same or went up, to change the infusion.

    Sounds like you have one of our favorite kind of doctors here. You must
be his first patient on a pump. I would think that your pump and one more
would make him two?

>He also said NO Boluses for highs at night, since
>regular insulin works too fast to make it safe. He
>and I are discussing whether it's wise to have a
>snack at night, to avoid low BG's during the night or
>in the morning. I've tried it both ways, and have had
>no consistent results, so I prefer not to eat
>anything at bedtime.  Sure is complicated...sure is
>nice to have choices!  :-}

    You can calculate how much insulin you have left from the last bolus.
There is a How To at the Insulin Pumper's Webpage I think. Also you really
need to get a copy of the book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh and even let
your doctor see it and maybe he might invest some of your office call
payment to buy himself a copy, since this is his trade. Ha
    At this point in time you don't seem to be reaping all the benefits of
the pump. You need to take frequent BG's and keep records so that you and
your doctor can see what is happening and what needs to be adjusted. I test
8 to 10 times per day and generally keep my BG's within the normal limits,
80 - 120.

Buddy '-)   email @ redacted