Re: [IP] To H or not to H

Sam Skopp wrote:
> When I talked to my endo about getting a pump, we talked briefly about
> using Regular or Humalog. He said that, while Humalog was not officially
> sanctioned, he knew that a number of people were using it. He sort of left
> the decision up to me. My gut reaction was to go with the "tried & true"
> Regular until I got used to the pump. However, after thinking about it I
> was wondering whether it might be better to start out with Humalog (or some
> combination). Any recommendations?

It seems that Humalog is best combined with R in about a 5 to 1 ratio. This
keeps it mmore stable so you can carry it for 3 days or more.
> Just so that you'll know what I'm doing now... on a normal insulin regimen,
> my BG's swing rapidly from high to low (or vice-versa). I take NPH twice a
> day (32 units total)and Regular on a sliding scale twice a day too (14-22+
> units total). I also use Humalog as a supplement when I have very high BGs.
> However, I'm usually quite high after meals... but taking more pre-meal
> Regular seems to just ensure lows before the next meal (depending on what
> my NPH decides to do by that time).

More Humalog with some R might help a lot. Why not try the 5Humalog to 1R
mix for your premeal shots now, as a trial run for pump use later? Just ve
careful to lower the dose until you can study the effect on bg, Humalog tends
to need less since it's applied NOW, not pushing you into a snack later.

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 42 years (as of 4/12/98), MM506 pump with Humalog since it went on