[IP] Taking course before becoming diabetic

     I read with interest a few comments about the amount of education
     necessary just to understand the new meters.
     I heartily suggest everyone get a manual for the first AutoSyringe 6
     pump with ONE bolus rate: which needed to be adjusted to YOUR
     necessary ONE bolus rate by diluting insulin accordingly.  This very
     simple procedure also enabled you to decide how many units per meal to
     take (once you had the division of units/infusion shot figured
     This simple device was doable on a slide rule (I know, I proved it
     once at a meeting of pump users in Fall of '81).
     Currently there is more CPU power in pumps and meters than the
     computers that sent rockets to the moon.  Of course our control has
     not improved THAT much, but it is becoming both easier and BETTER.
     When the NEXT set of gizmos is released life may actually improve
     dramatically dramatically (Minimed and others constant measure of
     glucose and hook into pump of said meter).  Not that I don't consider
     the pump pretty dramatic: its just that everyone going on today is
     getting all of us dinasaurs years of experience and getting an almost
     overnight 20 years of experience (yes, I did also have great readings
     soon after starting, but remember we couldn't have multiple rates and
     insulin was still the blechy old  U40 unpurified stuff)