Re: [IP] RE: Bolusing for a high after a low

> The comment about not bolusing for a high after a treated low was very
> timely as I did just that last night and ended up going low again.  Why is
> that?  I was at about 50 and started eating everything in sight.  A couple
> of hours later I was at 250 so I took 3 units.  This morning I was back to
> 55.  Shouldn't I have bolused for the high???
Always calculate the unused insulin. With regular allow at least 5
hours or more to purge excess insulin.  With Humalog it is trickier.
If you don't have a low, it is gone (by calculation) within 2 to
2  1/2 hours. But.... if you look at the blood insulin levels with
Humalog (see the chart under Lilly links on the website) the tail is
as long as regular and even though it is a low level tail (no pun
here) the effects are still present even at 5 hours if you are VERY
low.  Usually 2 1/2 hours is enough however.