Re: [IP] Carb -counting (was Sucralose)

> I would like to learn more about carb counting but the dietician I
>  spoke with on my last visit to a diabetes clinic suggested a reference
>  book for me to read but did not give me much more than that.
I realize you are in the Yukon.  Do you have access to a good bookstore?  You
need to get ahold of some carb counting data books.  These list literally
thousands of foods (mine even includes "reindeer milk") and the amount of
carbohydrate in a particular size portion. If your local bookstore doesn't
have them, you can order books online through www.amazon.com - I have had good
luck with them and they have an encrypted system so your credit card number is
safe. Let me know if you need specific titles.

Then, go onto the IP website and read the articles on carb-counting.  Use the
450 rule to estimate your starting carb to insulin ratio.  It will probably be
pretty close. The cliff notes version is to divide 450 by the total number of
units of insulin you take each day.

With carb counting, you can eat whatever you want, whenever you want.  98% of
your blood glucose comes from carbs, the remaining 2% from fat which is
negligible. You just add up the number of carbs in what you are eating, divide
this by your magic number and that tells you the amount of insulin to bolus.
It really works!

I'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

Mary Jean