Re: [IP] Prudential and payment for D pump

Ronald (and Randall):

This subject came up several months ago as I recall, but I don't recall who
the insurance provider was. Similar scenario - the individual's insurer
would only "pay" for one pump. This led to confusion, since the price for
both D pumps is virtually identical to MiniMed's price for a single pump.

One of the Disetronic reps mentioned that there are some insurers who "buy"
the two pumps from Disetronic, as prescribed by the physician, then have
them shipped to the insurer. The insurance provider (or their agent) then
ships one pump to the user. The remaining pump goes to the next user who
requests one. This supposedly represents a cost savings to the insurance

My personal opinion, FWIW, is that this practice is tantamount to having an
insurer change a prescription prior to delivery, cutting the supplies in
half, then shipping the "remainder" to another user, all under the guise of
"managing costs". Fortunately, this does not appear to be a common practice.

I'm not sure what can be done about this. I think the person who brought
this subject up earlier may have switched insurance providers.
Unfortunately, this is not an option open to everyone.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted